1st Annual Poetry Contest: Open to Students Gr. K-12
Accepting Submissions March 1-31, 2018 at M&NL
In celebration of April’s National Poetry Month, and in honor of the bequest of Jean K. Blanchet, the Mystic & Noank Library is proud to announce the
1st Annual Blanchet Poetry Contest
We invite you to share your original poetry with the Mystic & Noank Library community!
Submissions will be accepted March 1 — March 31, 2018.
One winner from each of five categories (Gr. K-3; 4-6; 7-8; 9-12; adult) will be announced on Saturday, April 14 at the Mystic & Noank Library. On this day, we will celebrate the birthday of our library founder, Capt. Elihu Spicer, as well as National Library Week. The selected poems will be on display in the library.
Read the full CONTEST RULES HERE.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a new Library program that encourages all families and caregivers to read 1,000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten.
How Does 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Work?
- Register at the library and take home your first reading log.
- Track Your Reading – Each time you read a book with your child, fill in a box on the reading log.
- Show us Your Reading Logs – Each time you read 100 books, bring in your reading log to receive special recognition, collect a prize, and mark your child's progress on our "Wall of Fame"! For every 25 step increment, children can also pick out stamps and stickers.
- Read More books! When you get all the way to 1000, come celebrate at the library to place your child's name to the 1000 Books Hall of Fame. Children will receive a prize, a special book to take home, and a book added to the library's collection with a dedication in their honor.
- Keep on reading--don't stop at 1,000! Visit the Mystic & Noank Library for ongoing programs that are fun and educational for your little one, and take advantage of our ever-expanding collection.
How Can I Read 1,000 Books!?
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you'll meet your goal in under three years. Three bedtime stories a night? You can reach your goal in just a single year. Every book reading counts, whether it's a new book or an old standby your child enjoys again and again. Ask our friendly staff for suggestions - we're here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!
What Books Count?
- Books may be read more than once and recorded
- Books read at Storytime if you attend
- Books from the library or from preschool
- Books on CD as long as they listen to the whole story
- Books read by any family member, teacher, etc.
- Books read on an iPad or e-reader
The Mystic & Noank Library's 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program has been generously funded by a grant from the Groton Education Foundation.
Award-Winning and Notable Book Lists
Need a suggestion for your next book?
Connecticut Nutmeg Book Award
The Connecticut Nutmeg Book Awards encourage children in grades 2-12 to read quality literature and to choose their favorite from a list of ten nominated titles.
School Reading Lists
Love to play video games at the Library? Stop by on Friday afternoons to try out our games with your friends.
Saturday, February 3 at 11:00 am in the Children's Room
Come read to Phantom! Make a new furry friend when you read to a pooch.