Friends of the Mystic & Noank Library
The Friends sponsor several events on an annual basis as described below. Please check the current calendar of Library events for details about this year’s event.
- Library Book Cart Drill Team – Beginning in 2014, Friends of the Library, including staff and patrons, have marched in the Irish Day Parade in downtown Mystic performing intricate maneuvers with library book carts. It is a great way to bring awareness of the Library to the community at large.
- Indoor Tag Sale - The Friends began holding an indoor yard sale in 2010 to help with the amount of items donated throughout the year for the Fair in June. This sale has been very successful and offers an early season yard sale for all interested.
- Edible Books Festival – The first event was held in 2006 and features a collaboration with the Friends of the Bill Memorial Library and the Groton Public Library Circle of Friends to host this fun family event as part of the International Edible Books Festivals. Held on a Sunday closest to April 1, entries are created to represent a book, character, or pun on a title that must be edible. After admiring and revealing the titles of the creations, they are eaten. Beverages are provided by the Friends groups and a small raffle is held with one book bag per Friends group to offset any costs associated. This has been a very successful friend-raising event for all three libraries groups of Friends.
- Silent Auction – As part of the Annual Spring Fair, the Silent Auction opens in May to offer fabulous items donated by our generous local merchants and Friends, including many gift certificates. The bidding starts in early May and ends at 2 p.m. on Fair Day, the first Saturday in June.
- Annual Spring Fair – the Friends held the first Fair in 1979 and it has grown and been successful ever since. It currently features plants from the Mystic Garden Club, White Elephant areas for adults and kids, books of all kinds both inside the library and outside, Fudge donated by Franklin’s General Store, baked goods, a food booth, activities for children, entertainment and the end of the Silent Auction. It is a wonderful yearly tradition and the biggest fund-raiser of the year for the Friends. It is held the first Saturday in June.
- Week-Long Book Sale – The Preview Party is held the night before the Spring Fair with admission charged and all items are 50% OVER the marked prices. It continues during the Fair and for the next week during regular library hours. There are thousands of books for all ages and all interests. Most items are half price on the Friday after the Fair and there is a $5 bag sale on the final Saturday with the sale ending at noon. Books are collected for this event throughout the year.
- Craft Exchange – The Friends have held a very successful Craft Exchange beginning in 2014, where people can drop off supplies for crafts they no longer need or want before the exchange. These are packaged up into units that are offered to anyone attending the exchange, with no money necessary. People are happy to try something new for no outlay of cash, get supplies for crafts for other locations with limited budgets or just have a new supply of craft items.
- All Things Pumpkin – An event for children and families, this free event is held on a Saturday and offers a magic show, costume parade through the Library, activities and cider from Clyde’s Cider Mill and a pumpkin patch at the end. There is a free raffle for three baskets as well.
- The Like-New Book Sale begins the week after Thanksgiving and features new and gently used books that are suitable for gift giving as well as holiday items.