Make-A-Plate at the M&N Library!
Come be a part of the platemaking tradition, our annual Mystic & Noank Library fundraiser in the Children's Room. During normal library hours for the month of October, you can come in and design your own custom plate. $10.00 per plate. Excellent gifts, the plates should arrive in time for holiday gift giving. All proceeds will benefit the Children's Room.
Scratch Programming Club
Saturdays at 10:00 am. This weekly club is for kids interested in learning fun and interactive Scratch programming! Participants will have the opportunity to create virtual games, music videos, art projects and more - all of their own digital design! Children ages 10 and up are welcome.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a new Library program that encourages all families and caregivers to read 1,000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten.
How Does 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Work?
- Register at the library and take home your first reading log.
- Track Your Reading – Each time you read a book with your child, fill in a box on the reading log.
- Show us Your Reading Logs – Each time you read 100 books, bring in your reading log to receive special recognition, collect a prize, and mark your child's progress on our "Wall of Fame"! For every 25 step increment, children can also pick out stamps and stickers.
- Read More books! When you get all the way to 1000, come celebrate at the library to place your child's name to the 1000 Books Hall of Fame. Children will receive a prize, a special book to take home, and a book added to the library's collection with a dedication in their honor.
- Keep on reading--don't stop at 1,000! Visit the Mystic & Noank Library for ongoing programs that are fun and educational for your little one, and take advantage of our ever-expanding collection.
How Can I Read 1,000 Books!?
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you'll meet your goal in under three years. Three bedtime stories a night? You can reach your goal in just a single year. Every book reading counts, whether it's a new book or an old standby your child enjoys again and again. Ask our friendly staff for suggestions - we're here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!
What Books Count?
- Books may be read more than once and recorded
- Books read at Storytime if you attend
- Books from the library or from preschool
- Books on CD as long as they listen to the whole story
- Books read by any family member, teacher, etc.
- Books read on an iPad or e-reader
The Mystic & Noank Library's 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program has been generously funded by a grant from the Groton Education Foundation.
Our Storytimes are for babies, toddlers, and children up to age 5. Fall, Winter and Spring Storytime sessions last for eight weeks and are free and open to the public.
The upcoming Fall 2017 storytimes will start the last week of September. Registration begins in August through our EventKeeper calendar.
Three Year Olds
Session One: Mondays @ 10:30 am
Four and Five Year Olds
Session One: Tuesdays @ 1:15 pm
Due to demand registration is required and class size is limited. Registration may be done online through our EventKeeper calendar. In the case of over-enrollment classes will be determined on a first-come, first-served basis.
Award-Winning and Notable Book Lists
Need a suggestion for your next book?
Connecticut Nutmeg Book Award
The Connecticut Nutmeg Book Awards encourage children in grades 2-12 to read quality literature and to choose their favorite from a list of ten nominated titles.